Friday, October 24, 2014

Pumpkin Bread

This is one of my favorite things to make and eat!  And seeing as it's fall for you there in the USA, I thought I would share.  It is over 100 degrees fareheight here most days, so it's all the same to me.  But I'm not bothered, I'm used to eating pumpkin all year long!  I almost titled this, "Pumpkin banana apple raisin bread"but even though I like my eaters to be informed of what they are eating...thats a really long title and depending on the mood I'm in the same recipe can be varied in lots of different ways.  Also known as pumpkin nut bread, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, pumpkin craisin white chocolate muffins, etc.  It's like pizza: very versatile!
 So here in Bolivia the pumpkins (or squash), are huge so you buy it by the kilo, cook it down, pure it and then it's finally ready to eat!  Here's a modified recipe of my favorite pumpkin recipe.  Most people who know me well have tried this at least once! (It sometimes has chocolate chips, or nuts, or is in the form of a muffin, but this time I went for more fruit!).

4 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
15 oz pumpkin pure
1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. applesauce or 2 mashed bananas

3 c. flour (I do half whole wheat and half all purpose white flour)
2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. cinnamon (you can use pumpkin pie spice as well)
1 t. salt

2 c. dark chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, diced apple, shredded carrot, craisins, white chocolate chips, or any other mix in that you prefer.

Mix wet ingredients and then sift and add dry ingredients. Finally add mix ins and pour into greased muffin tins or bread pans.  Bake at 400 degrees.  45-60 minutes for loaves of bread and 16-20 minutes for muffins.

This makes 2 loaves or 2 dozen muffins and they won't last long!


No comments: